Thread: Sleeping Issues
View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:41

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Synn: Before I started Atkins I had a terrible time with sleeping. I would wake up several times during the night and, more times than not, would not be able to get back to sleep, and of course would be exhausted the next day. Also had sinus problems and trouble with waking up much too hot. Slowly...slowly, slowly, slowly, I have gotten to the point where I am getting "healthy" sleep at night. My sinuses have completely cleared up and even if I have to get up to use the bathroom during the night, (because I drink so much water all day long, including in the evening), I am able to get back to bed and go right into a sound, deep sleep. Used to be if I woke up, that was it for the night. The problem of getting too hot at night has also cleared up. I have no way to prove this, but I think a lot of the problems were related to food allergies, given the fact that now that all the sugar, refined flour, etc. are completely out of my diet...and no processed carbage, either. I gave up my dearest friend, Diet Coke, and coffee for the first three months, but have noticed that now that I have added the coffee and occasionally one or two (as opposed to 7-8 per day) Diet Cokes back in, that I still have no problem with the sleep. And, OBTW...I see nothing wrong with a power nap if you need it. Loads of very successful executives swear by them and need them to get through long, busy, stressful days. You might just need to find where the line between a power nap and a "nightime" sleep pattern is...the purpose of a power nap is to refresh you, not to replace the good, deep restoring sleep you should have at night.

You have made several lifestyle changes in a short amount of time...quiting smoking and changing your way of eating. That has to have had a major effect on your system, along with the elimination of sleeping pills and caffeine. That last alone would take your body some time to adjust to. You will have to give your some time and I would think you will be feeling better after awhile. These are such major changes I wouldn't think you can expect results in a short amount of time. If I am wrong, trust me, someone on this board will set you straight!
Good luck!