Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%
Angry Atkins Diet Turns Food Pyramid Upside Down

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/hea...392/detail.html

BOSTON -- No carbohydrates, no fruits, no vegetables and as much fat and protein as you can handle. That seems to be the mantra of the Atkins nutritional approach, the diet that claims to aid weight loss by starving the body of carbohydrates -- its main energy source -- forcing the body to burn fat for fuel. Just the usual garbage from someone who hasn't read the book - no fruit, no veggies

An estimated 25 million Americans, 12 percent of the adult population, are currently adding the bacon and sending back full breadbaskets, according to Atkins officials.

The Atkins program works by depriving the body of carbohydrates and inducing a state of ketosis, making the body believe it is starving. When the body is denied carbohydrates, it runs short on its constant supply of glucose -- the breakdown product of carbohydrate -- and is forced to burn body fat energy, Atkins says.

In the first two weeks of the diet, there is an induction phase where carbohydrates are restricted to 20 grams a day. Dieters will see a large initial weight loss coming from water loss, not body fat. After the induction phase, dieters are encouraged to slowly increase the amount of carbohydrates in their diet, pulling the body out of ketosis. Yep, that 30lbs I lost must be all water weight... and the 100+lbs that others have lost? Must be water weight too

Nutritionists believe the diet has seen such a following because, in theory, it works. Atkins eliminates fruits, cereals, breads, grains, baked goods and starchy vegetables from a person's diet, presenting a significant calorie reduction -- the basis of any weight loss system. AAARGH!

Despite the initial weight loss, nutritionists say the diet does not aid long-term weight loss and puts dieters at an increased risk for colon cancer, high cholesterol, kidney damage and heart disease. Atkins reads like a heart-disease heaven, encouraging people to load up on fatty red meat, butter and bacon, contradicting numerous health studies and turning the food pyramid upside down, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Health experts fear the diet causes people to miss out on many needed vitamins and minerals, and may also increase the risk of cancer. The Atkins approach discourages dieters from eating fruits and vegetables, causing dieters to lose out on their cancer-fighting potential. Yep that's right. No veggies. Nope. Not for me

The diet is not recommended for vegans and lacto-ovo vegetarians, because it cannot be done successfully without protein derived from animal products. Atkins is also not recommended for diabetics, who may become hypoglycemic if they do not receive enough carbohydrates. Well the vegan thing is fair enough, but diabetics??? From what I've read (I'm not diabetic myself), a low carb diet is PERFECT for diabetics, and helps control their blood sugar far better than a high carb diet. Hypoglycemic my butt

The Atkins diet comes from research done by Dr. Robert Atkins, a graduate of Cornell University Medical School. Atkins first published his diet plan in 1972 in his book "Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution," which advised people from staying away from sugar-rich, processed foods that had become so prevalent in most U.S. diets. Since the original plan was released, Atkins published Atkins-friendly cookbooks and sold low-carb food options, vitamins and supplements via the Atkins Web site.
Sponsored Links