#8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 240/190/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Jamie ---

I felt so awful Friday morning that I just said that's it, I'm stopping. I'll tell the doctor when I go back on the 18th, and I'm keeping careful records to show him.

You mentioned the big meal of salmon and salad --- low carb but still a lot of food. I've been "watching" my carbs for years, mostly doing something sort of half way in between the Zone and Bernstein/Protein Power/Atkins. It wasn't till I read Dr. Bernstein's book that I realized big meals can raise blood sugar even if they are strictly LC. He has a story about a woman who was eating a whole head of lettuce (IIRC) before exercising and her bg was going way up. The lettuce, even a whole head, had very few carbs, but he describes the big meal as Chinese Restaurant Syndrome. I had been fooling myself when I thought I could eat an ENTIRE Outback Steakhouse meal of grilled salmon with veggies AND house salad (sans croutons). Lately I've been cutting the salmon in half and putting it and half the veggies in a carryout box before I start eating. That way I'm not tempted to keep nibbling on a little more, a little more, till the whole thing's gone. Plus I get a healthy lunch for the next day.

Cheers,
Marjorie