View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I sort of disagree with the "avoid low-carb versions" angle. Yes, you are replacing one vice with another, and on a regular basis, this may NOT be good. I keep low-carb versions of some "goodies" on hand, because I'd rather not have the struggle when my son is eating something I can't have, and it's "substitute or fall off the wagon altogether"...That may be my inner two year old, or it may be a sanity saver, depending on how you look at it. Of course, I've gotten to the point where the taste of the substitutes doesn't trigger the old binge-y feelings. I had to go without lc bread for MONTHS because I couldn't STOP at one slice!

Potatofree..it's not so much that I think that low carb versions of our former high carb favorites are evil, but I see sooooo many people who incorporate them into their daily menus at the expense of much higher nutrient foods (replacing veggies or fruits with low carb candy, for example) and then wind up falling off the wagon completely because they become unsatisfied with the low carb version and wind up going for the old high carb version. After 2 1/2 years of low carb, there are some low carb products that I do use on a regular basis, the main one being some of the hot cereal mixes. I do also eat a low carb bread, but not necessarily even every day because bread used to be a huge downfall for me.
Low carb candy has become only an occasional treat for me as it's still a trigger for cravings.
All in all, I agree that it's better to use the low carb version than to binge on the high carb stuff, but I think we'd all be better off if we kept them out of our daily menus and used them as the treats that they really are (something you only have once or twice a week if that). I often wonder, though, where we got the idea that something sweet has to be part of our daily menu or we are somehow depriving ourselves?