View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Kristine--LOVE the "inner two-year-old" comment! What an apt description of what we ALL struggle with. The feeling of wanting to have our cake and eat it too...without stalling! Sometimes my inner child needs a good spanking!!!!

When the urge to blow it comes over me, I re-read parts of my (increasingly worn) copy of the Dr Phil book. It helps to put a nice, stern voice in my head to argue with the self-talk that is leading me to justify a binge.

I sort of disagree with the "avoid low-carb versions" angle. Yes, you are replacing one vice with another, and on a regular basis, this may NOT be good. I keep low-carb versions of some "goodies" on hand, because I'd rather not have the struggle when my son is eating something I can't have, and it's "substitute or fall off the wagon altogether"...That may be my inner two year old, or it may be a sanity saver, depending on how you look at it. Of course, I've gotten to the point where the taste of the substitutes doesn't trigger the old binge-y feelings. I had to go without lc bread for MONTHS because I couldn't STOP at one slice!

My best new habit is not keeping snacks out in plain sight, even lc ones. At those times when I used to snack (ie watching tv in the evenings) I find something else to do with my hands, keep the snack foods AWAY from myself, and I really don't miss it. It was purely habit, not hunger.