View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm pretty sure that the DANDR books all say that cholesterol will tend to rise so that we should delay cholesterol testing until about 3 months into LCing.

However, if your cholesterol is up after only one week, I can say with certainty: it WASN'T from LCing.

I have been on LC for over 5 years & recent blood tests showed a GREAT ratio between Total Chol. & HDL = LESS than average risk. Plus my triglycerides are in the low range which is considered PROTECTIVE against heart disease.

The rise in cholesterol is more likely due to eating carbs plus fats, especially trans fats. This combination is found in the "typical North American diet" and most low fat and low cal plans.

If you know your exact numbers (or can get a copy from your doctor) you could post them and some of the medically qualified people here might comment.

You must do what you think best, but do investigate the posts in the Cholesterol forum here and also the Media Watch area. This subject has been discussed a lot and many studies posted there.

I'd bet that if you STUCK to your Atkins plan and did not eat anything that was off plan, your levels would be much better after 3 months.