View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

I agree with Hellistile. The reason hunter-gatherer life gave way to farming, was because the game was getting low... however, we are no longer dependent on hunter-gathering techniques to survive. We can raise a lot (more) of animals for human (and pet) consumption. It is just another way of "hunting and gathering". The problems that have arisen with agriculture are vast and deep. For instance the huge (human) (over-) population explosion, and the decimation of nature, etc. These are problems, but they can be fixed. We also have attained some benefits from agriculture, like being able to combat diseases, etc. We must overcome the problems if we are to survive as a species, and if we are to stop damaging the planet's natural environment (which we are a part of, if we would only see it that way!). Birth control is an extremely immediate problem! There are way too many people now... we can't keep going in that direction! And, sustainable agriculture is important as well. Here in the Midwest, there are many farmers that are trying to allow the natural grasslands to return to the plains, and they are trying to raise animals as natural as possible... native animals of this area, like deer, elk, bison, etc. That is one way of changing things. I for one have researched these farms and have several relationships established. I am presently getting all my meat and eggs from various farms. They all raise animals naturally and are concerned with the health aspects and the environmental aspects of food production. The animals are also not "tortured" in the process! I will NOT go back to mindlessly purchasing meat and eggs from the supermarket. I buy in bulk and it is very affordable.

The globalization of huge multi-nationals' interests are wiping out the more indigenous ways of many peoples across the planet... traditional eating was still very paleo, despite some grains and legumes in the mix. These dishes are going to the way side. People use to prize the innards of animals, including brains, intestines, organs, fat, blood, etc. This is very healthy food. Now, these substances are discarded in the meat processing plants. And, of course the fat is then trimmed off the meat at the butcher. And, if we listened to the health advise of the last few decades, we would hardly eat any meat and would instead be consuming ultra-processed low-fat commercial packaged junk food off the colorful aisles of the supermarkets! Oh, wait... I guess most of us are! ooops... didn't mean to get cynical there!

BTW... although that article is a good one... it was bent toward the "low-fat" version of paleo... which, while being, shall we say "politically correct", is not really historically/anthropologically accurate.

Check this article for a bit more realism...

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html