Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:25
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Back to basics...

Quote:
the diet i have prescribed is the best for optimal health.

I think, gymee, that this should actually read: the diet i have prescribed is the best for gymee's optimal health.

ON BMI - yes, body fat percentages are a better estimate of overall health. However--there's a bit of chicken and egg going on with body fat. A high body fat count may not necessarily mean that a person "is" in bad health but that the eating, lifestyle, and genetic factors that contributed to that increased fat did put that person at risk while they were doing it. So someone with a high body fat percentage who is losing body fat might still look pretty darn healthy when evaluated as follows...

ON ASSESSING HEALTH - basic bloodwork testing a full metabolic panel including all the T's, with lipids (HDL, LDL, Triglycerides, etc.) blood sugar fasting and H1C, kidney, liver function, potassium, calcium, sodium, plus blood pressure, pulse, and hormone levels, should give a pretty basic but round picture of an individual's general health. Of course there are exceptions, nuances, more involved and accurate tests, etc. But it's better, I think, than strictly looking at body fat and making assumptions.

ON OPTIMAL NUTRITION - This is so individualized, even you, yourself, recognized that people who sit at a desk have different nutritional needs than someone who has a very physical lifestyle. This is why the food pyramids are difficult to make one-size-fits all. We must consider how dietary composition does affect an individual via:

1) metabolism
2) energy level and subsequent physical activity
3) the relationship with individual genetics
4) the absorption of nutrients that can affect the other three

And...

5) sex & age of a person (and hormones) - this is going to seriously vary nutrition analysis. A young man of 19 has different nutritional needs, moreover different acceptable body fat, than a 55 year old woman going through menopause.

So we can all argue about how many carbs are optimal or how much protein or how much saturated fat will work, but chances are what is good for the young goose may not be good for the aging gander.

That's why some people can happily exist on 200 g of daily carbs for decades without any health problems, and others develop T2 diabetes as young adults. For most people 200 g is excessive, but most people are not as healthy as you are, gymee, nor as active, and only about half of us are men, moreover, even fewer than that are your age, and less have the same blood type, and fewer yet have the same genetic markers, daily stress levels, caring for my children in middle school who might be inappropriately flirting with men of your age--that's enough to make my blood pressure go up regardless of my own diet....