View Single Post
  #496   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/132/125 Female 5
BF:
Progress:

I can definitely say that I have seen things from both sides of the fence on this issue. I myself did in fact follow the same type of regime that you happen to follow for a number of years. I am a woman and yes I have taken essential fatty acids for years. I limited the amount of supposedly "bad fats" for "good fats" and ate all the good carbs that you speak of. In fact, I was someone who very rarely ate "twinkies" as you keep mentioning. After the birth of my son 3 years ago I began struggling with my weight although I was still doing exactly what you have recommended in your previous posts. I began getting very depressed because I was doing everything right and still was not able to lose weight. I even consulted with a nutritionalist in my area who gave me tips for exactly what I had already been doing. He stated that without essential fatty acids, weight loss would be minimal.

Needless to say, my weight continued to raise until my legs were burning like fire at night after I had been on my feet all day long. I decided I had to do something or I was going to look for a different career. That is when I bought the first Atkins book and began reading. To my suprise, it wasn't a diet after all. It was a way of life. It also wasn't about "no carb" life, it was about lower carb than I was eating at the time. It was about knowing the "good carbs" from the "bad carbs". It was about maintaining your insulin levels so your blood sugar didn't go nuts everytime you ate.

There are so many people who are misinformed out there. I don't know how many people have said to me, "Be careful, you know that eating no carbs can be dangerous for you." Actually I just told someone the other day that there is virtually no way you could EVER eat no carbs unless you are only eating meat. Even an egg has a few carbs. Everything you eat that isn't animal has carbs. There are just so many people who think that low fat is the way to go because it is what our society has been used to for so long.

Have you ever thought about this? Back when the food pyramid was designed, who benefited from it the most? Wouldn't you say that farmers benefited most from it? Especially wheat and grain farmers. Which brings me to my next question regarding the food pyramid. What is at the top of that pyramid? Doesn't it say to use fats sparingly? Doesn't that go against everything you have posted regarding your essential fat? I don't think they meant to say, "Oh by the way, you need to use fats sparingly, but make sure you get some essential fatty acids."

I think you really really need to read the Atkins book. Dr. Atkins was such an intelligent man. His book really makes you understand exactly why your body works the way it works. I saw where you mentioned that he made tons of money before his death. Let me tell you, I have lost 27lbs and all it cost me was $5.00 for a paper back book. I didn't go spend $200.00 at a time for some weight loss guru to tell me what to do. I didn't have to buy any packaged food. I didn't have to report for a "weigh-in" at the most popular weight loss hang out like LA weightloss. I simply read his scientific information based on his many years of experience and I followed what he said to do. My legs no longer burn like fire and I have gone from a size 13 to a size 5. I am a female athlete who doesn't have any problems doing cardio or any exercise program. I play softball and volleyball regularly. I walk everyday and I feel wonderful.

My accomplishments actually aren't the most remarkable thing though. My husband began the Atkins lifestyle after he saw how well I did. Prior to starting Atkins, we spent countless nights in the emergency room with chest pains, blurred vision, and tingling in his fingers. His blood pressue was 150/90 at 32 years of age. Someone who has always been an accomplished athlete was in the biggest battle of his life. We tried all kinds of diets. We tried everything under the sun. He even stated once that he felt like a rabbit because he couldn't eat anything or he would gain more weight. Keep in mind, yes he was taking his essential fatty acids just as I did. Nothing worked until he tried Atkins. His blood pressure has now dropped to 120/70 and he looks wonderful. He is considered the "poster child" for the Atkins lifestyle at work. People are constantly asking him what he is doing to lose the weight. He has more energy than he has had in 4 years thanks to the "low carb" way of eating.

I have seen you post on here several times about how "fit" you are. I have seen how you say that some 21 year olds couldn't keep up with you. My question to you is this....Have you EVER had to battle your weight? You even stated that you have lived this lifestyle since you were in your 20's. So, until you have been overweight yourself, you can NEVER fully understand why people do what they do to lose weight and better their health. Until I had my children, I didn't have a weight problem. Since I was an athlete, I didn't really have to worry about that. Then the childbearing years hit and it was all downhill from there. I feel better than I did before I had my first child and I wouldn't go back to that lifestyle for anything. I basically eat whatever I want with the exeption of candies and cakes. If it is white and fluffy....I do not touch it.

Like I said before....read the book. I think it would do you some good to at least open your mind and understand why we do what we do. I personally didn't like the way I felt while I was following the regime you follow. Now I feel wonderful doing what you say is so bad for me.
Sponsored Links