View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 10:27

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Your day care provider took her??? Was this someone you hired to take care of her in your home? or a day care center?

My daughter is now 21. When she was born, she nearly starved trying to nurse, so was put on formula at 5 months (she was so thin!). At 6 months she was 15#....she was 5 15 when she was born. I don't remember how old she was when she went to milk rather than formula, but I'd guess around 1 yr. The philosophy on feeding formula, how much and how long, changes over the years. She was given cereal, etc fairly early, because of her low weight, but still, the doc said the main thing was the formula....as long as dhe had so many oz a day she was fine. After 6 months we cut back on formula and increased solids.

At the same time, my sister in law's son, who was 1 month older than Laura, was pushed solids and limited formula once he started on solids....AT 6 months (I remember the poor kid was 5 1/2 months and she wouldn't feed him anything solid because her doc told her not until he was 6 months!!!!!). He was a fat baby! And today, he's a junk food monster!!!!!

She was (and is) very thin all her life. She was in the 90% percentile for height, and her weight was in the 10 percentile. MY doc didn't worry as long as she stayed in the same "route" and didnt' fall lower in her weight. She was VERY healthy....got a cold about once a year. Currently she's 5'9" and about 136 pounds....which she's thrilled with! (The stress of graduating high school, starting college caused her to loose weight....her lowest weight was 105!) My son,, now 19, was a bit less picky than Laura and was always "cubby", but still, ate few sweets. He pretty much stuck in the 75th for both weight and height. Today, he's 6'3" and slim and trim. He still isn't a big sweet eater!

Laura didn't have any candy or sweet until she was almost 3....my son a bit earlier, around 2 1/2. (except for the birthday cake Laura fed him on his first birthday that is) I made a lot of my own babyfood and was very careful to plan out good, well balanced meals for them. They were rarely given juice, but ate fruit whole, chopped and pureed....I'd make my own applesauce without sugar....same with pears, peaches, bananas.

When Laura was almost 5 I was given instructions by the WIC workers to "supplement" her diet with ice cream, frappes, and pudding! AND they threatened me with child welfare if I didn't comply!!!!!!! This was to be given to her whether she ate her "regular" food or not! (She was a very picky eater) Needless to say, I was upset, but luckily went to my pediatrician, who called WIC and told them to lay off.

I remember when they were elementary age.....we'd have a "bad mommy night" about once every 6 months. On this night, I'd take them to a local ice cream place that served food. They could have anything they wanted.....as long as they ate it. I remember once Laura asking if she could just have ice cream.....and I told her yes, if that's what she wanted....but ice cream alone wasn't good for her. Well, neither would order just ice cream.....they'd have a kid's meal, which was hotdogs, or chicken, or a burger.....then have ice cream for dessert. Many times the ice cream went unordered or uneaten....but they loved it, felt like they were in control. My mom and I tool them to family restaraunts often, about once every 2 weeks, and they almost always had a salad with their meals....often it was mine or my mom's salad they were eating because the kid's meals rarely included salad....and they rarely had their dessert...and if they did, they'd usually pick at it. I remember a few times asking for a "kid's meal" version of adult fare....like roasted chicken, roast beef, etc for Brian....and most places were quite accomodating.

When you mentioned the shrimp I had to chuckle. We went to a lobster back when Brian was just about 2....it was a riot! He'd walk around and around the tables.....and people would give him hunks of lobster as he went! LOL He still loves lobster!

Laura's on her own now, and she eats very well....a very limited diet, but she eats her veggies and rarely eats meat, substituting cheese and fish mostly. She almost always has candy around, but has been known to have it so long she's had to throw it out!

Brian's still in that teenager eating crap phase....he's still at home, but rarely here for meals. He eats a lot of fast-foods and packaged foods...but not as bad as most of his friends, who live on BK and MacD's! He also will ask for or buy himself salads often.....I have always tried to keep salad making in the house, even when I'm not dieting.....it's a staple here....and there are times he'll run to the store to get salad makings when we run out! When he and his friends went to the prom, they went out to dinner....and he was the only one who ate his salad! He thought the other kids were nuts.....they thought he was!!!!!