View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 06:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's all pretty scary.
The quote about feeding babies cow's milk before 12 months made me wonder, though. I think it has more to do with possible allergies to milk than anything else. My pediatrician told me to take my oldest daughter off formula at 6 months and switch her to whole milk because of how quickly she was gaining weight on formula. She was born weighing 7 lbs. 5 oz. and by 6 months was already weighing 20 pounds! Of course, her height was keeping up nicely with her weight (at that point she was 95th percentile for both) but he recommended that I switch her just the same (I think his exact words were, "Now would be a good time to change her to whole milk"). Maybe it was because at that point, I was already 4 months pregnant with my youngest daughter and he was concerned about my having to carry a baby that weighed that much (and was gaining about 2 pounds a month) while I was pregnant. It doesn't seem to have hurt her too much because she is still in the 75th percetile for both height and weight and the doc doesn't get concerned about the weight unless it isn't keeping up with her height. By all calculations, they're predicting that she's going to be almost as tall as her father who is 5' 11".
As for fast food, if I had known that my day care provider was planning to take my 1 and 2 year olds to McDonald's, I would have told her that I didn't want her feeding my kids that junk, but I found out after the fact (several months in fact) that she had been taking my girls to McDonalds a couple of times per week. Needless to say, I was a little upset because at home I was feeding them things like fruit, veggies and small pieces of meat along with some other high carb things like rice, potatoes and cereal, of course (they never liked pasta and still don't), but I never planned to take them to places like McDonalds until they were school age at least.
Now they're 3rd graders and only get McDonalds as a rare treat (maybe once every couple of months). We do eat out, but at restaurants where they can order things like salads and real veggies (not potatoes, peas or corn) come with the meal. Something must be working because I often have to tell my youngest that she can't have any more veggies until she eats some meat! She loves her veggies and all kinds of fruit as well! As a matter of fact, for her birthday last weekend, she requested steak, shrimp, cucumbers and broccoli for her birthday dinner.