View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I'm not sure I'd buy that right off the bat. The Cancer can be attributed to an excess intake of Plant Linoleic Acid. Linoleic Acid lowers Cholesterol. Vegans [who eat alot of Plant Linoleic Acid and Carbohydrates] tend to have very low total Cholesterol [<160,] so it seems to reason in my mind that there may be some connection between an excess intake these foods and the problems associated with Low Cholesterol.

I don't place too much faith in the medical establishment's ability to discern cause and effect. Remember these are the same folks that concluded Dietary Fat causes Diabetes and Obesity causes High Cholesterol. They all too often mistake the symptom for the cause. A symptom of an unhealthy [Hi-Plant LA/Hi-Carb] Vegan diet is very low cholesterol. So, it stands to reason that the cause may in fact be an excess of these two items.

Non-Dairy Creamer [and a number of other Vegan foods] contain Trans-Fat which significantly lowers HDL. Grain also lowers HDL. Very Low HDL, even with low total Cholesterol is bad for you. Plus these folks tend to consume an excess of Sodium.

My theory is that the diet that normally brings about such low cholesterol readings is an entirely unhealthy one...and that the medical establishment may well be mistaking the symptom of low cholesterol for the cause.