Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/293.5/145 Female 5'6"
BF:probably 100%
Progress: 9%
Question need help with numbers, hormones, thyroid

Hi all,

I've just been on this forum for a few days. (See my newbie post) And I just got back test results. The Dr. wants to put me on Cholesteral meds and I just don't want to take any more meds! I am on BP, depression, avandamet (the Dr. said glucophage wasn't helping-I was on 500 mg. per day. And the avandamet is making me ravenous!! He is switching to a lower dosage. Anyway, here are the numbers:

Cholosterol, total 232 mg/dL
Triglycerides 165 mg/dL
HDL 47 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 33 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc 152

LDL/HDL Ratio 3.2

The numbers don't look terribly bad to me. Is there a way I can reduce the "bad" numbers and raise the HDL naturally? I just started back on low carb about three days ago. I have read what the numbers mean at the beginning of the thread but some of those normal numbers are higher than what is stated on the test results.

Also, on a personal note, does anyone fight a low sex drive? I had my hormones checked and the testosterone was 0.5, the progesterone was 0.3 ng/mL (I think the "n" is a mistake)
I have also read that heavy women tend to have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone, and also that low progesterone can cause hair loss. And my hair has gotten very thin on top and thin everywhere. I am not "postmenopausal" yet so shouldn't my progesterone be higher?

I also have most of the symptoms of low thyroid and my TSH is 1.243. The test says the limits are 0.350-5.500.

I need help knowing what to do. I just don't want to fill up on meds if something else can be done. Please help.
Sponsored Links