Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

He's selling his own book. 'nuff said.

Okay, well, I can't resist picking it apart anyway:

>"I began asking Atkins "survivors"..." Anecdotes don't mean anything. Did he bother finding out the real reason people don't get to their goal, like allowing carb creep and not exercising, or the simple fact that this isn't meant to be rapid weight loss?

>"Plus, this Phase messes up your mineral balance and is a big-time STRESS to your body." Again, meaningless crap that isn't backed up with facts. Yes, it's stressful, but so is decades of consuming refined carbs!

>"...(water) dropping to about 20% of the weight lost by the third week." Yet again, meaningless. You only lose more water on a low carb plan than a higher carb plan because your body no longer needs to store carbs. (Storing carbs as glycogen requires water) Tell the people who've lost dozens of pounds or more that they just lost water!

>"Atkins's false notions with different response rates accounts for the fact that people often GAIN weight in the Induction Phase." Again, where are the numbers? Read the journals and newbies section here. How many people *gain* on induction? Practically zero.

>"...there's little chance of succeeding with his plan" Show me the numbers in a controlled, published study. Published studies show, in fact, that there's little chance of FAILING.

>"(re induction) you discover how restrictive and difficult this goal will be to achieve" Gimme a break - it's two weeks, for chrissakes!

>"(maintainers), however, must rely for the rest of their life on using carbohydrate restriction to maintain their losses, usually no more than 30 grams per day" 100% outright lie. Again, no proof, no numbers. I can easily handle 80 g of carbs per day or more - the average is less than 80 because there's simply no reason for me to have more. If I was working out, I'd have to deliberately start adding more. I have never *once* seen anyone trying to maintain at 30 g carbs per day.

Atkins can be hard to stick to initially because almost all of us are carb addicts and creatures of habit. AA is tough for alcoholics to stick to, also... is it better to try to "moderate"?

Don't believe anything you read unless it's backed up by facts and/or your own experience. If this guy was offering new information - information he got from hard research - I'd be all for it. I also think objective criticism of other plans to be fair game. But all he does is take anecdotal MISinformation and try to disguise it as facts.