#15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:54
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ImHere:

Several months into Atkins last winter, I was astounded to find that my cholesterol levels had skyrocketed (very high HDL and LDL). We hear so much about cholesterol levels and heart disease that it's automatically assumed that it's the only cause and effect. But it's not. My tests also showed that my tryglyceride levels were very low. After re-reading my chapter on Cholesterol in Protein Power Lifeplan, I felt more at ease, but I was still concerned b/c of the brainwashing I'd received for years about cholesterol, plus it runs in my family.

It turned out for me, that my high cholesterol levels were caused b/c I stopped ovulating. My holistic doctor ordered saliva hormone tests and it turned out that my estrogen levels were abnormally high with low testosterone. After having several tests done and charting my morning temperatures, I've seen the relationship between my cycle and high cholesterol levels. Months when I've ovulated, my cholesterol goes down.

My point is that the cause of high LDLs isn't necessarily heart disease. Hormones are also very much related.

I just found this article that you may find interesting. I wish it had been written last winter.
Treating High Cholesterol by Replacing Hormones

HTH,
Wanda