#4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Toni,

I replied to your earlier question here, about possible reason the current test has to be done fasting, while this previous test was not.

Yes .. the above tests are all within normal limits. The TSH is nice and low -- if it was elevated, then that would be an obvious indicator of low thyroid function. It might be questionable if the TSH was at the upper end of normal limits (which the American Endocrinologists now think should be set at 3, not 5.6) However, yours is 0.75 which, on the surface does not indicate hypothyroid at all. Looking at the free T4, it also is within normal limits.

For the majority of persons, these results would be hands-down indicative of perfectly normal thyroid function. In your case, since you're having symptoms which indicate a possible low thyroid condition, it's very appropriate to run other thyroid tests such as total and free T3 and thyroid antibodies. Check out the link which Paleoanth gave in the other thread ... http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm .. That site is excellent, and there's a section which explains all the lab tests and what they mean.

OK .. back to the above lab results .. Your blood glucose was 76. Since you stated that you didn't fast for that test, it means that your blood sugar was quite low for a random sample. As I stated in the other thread, I suspect the dr. this time wants to see how low your sugar might drop to in the fasted state. Hypoglycemia can cause some of the symptoms you're having.

(just a note ... sometimes blood sugar lab results can be falsely low if the sample has clotted)

hth,

Doreen