View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 14:48

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%

Hi Beth,

I have gotten ulcers in my mouth all my life (39 years so far). There's not really much you can do once you have one. You can rinse with Peroxyl mouthwash or if you're cheap like me, use regular peroxide. Be sure not to swallow either one. If you use peroxide, brushing your teeth immediately will get rid of the nasty taste (it's the dead bacteria you taste). OTC medications like Canka and such have never done anything for me. You can also swish with warm salt water. As for the cause, mpengineer was right; it's an imbalance of your intestinal flora. Your stomach lining probably has them as well. There are a couple of things you can do for this.

1. Low-carb diet (which you are obviously doing) - keeps the undesirables (such as candida) at bay
2. Re-colonize your intestinal tract with "good" bacteria - eating yogurt can help this along, but by far the best sources are acidophilus capsules and a product called Lactinex. I prefer Lactinex as it is only sold in pharmacies where it must be kept refrigerated (keep it in the fridge at home too). This keeps the bacterial cultures alive. You never know how long the acidophilus capsules have been on the shelf.

Like I said before, this won't make your existing ulcers go away, but it will keep more from popping up.

Good luck!