View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 14:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have to agree that hypoglycemia is mostly likely an early stage of diabetes. I was hypoglycemic in college and then 8 years later became diabetic.
I haven't had my glucose tolerance tested in quite some time, so it's hard to say whether or not that has gotten better, but I do know that I can keep my blood sugars normal around the clock as long as I stick with low carb.

Quote:
I have read that diabetics can sometimes stop there medications on lowcarb and wondered if that is because the carbs are so few or if they are becoming more sensitive to insulin?

I'm one of those who has been able to stop my medications. I honestly haven't been willing to test whether or not I can go higher carb as long as I'm still trying to lose weight. The fact that I've had a couple of hypoglcemic episodes tells me that I am getting more sensitive to the insulin that I produce. Once I get to maintainance, I plan on trying to slowly increase my daily carb allowance to see what my body can tolerate at that point. I'm hoping to be able to get to 40-50 grams of carb per day, but would be more than content to stay at 30 if that's all my body can handle.
I believe that Dr. Schwarzbein believes that insulin resistance can be reversed, but I think how long it will take and if it will happen at all depends on a lot of variables like you mentioned above.