View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/266/140 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

It was obvious she was there with an agenda. Weight Watchers must really be losing the money.

Here are some excerpts from her interview with Larry King last night (Oct. 21st).:

KING: Now, what do you do for Weight Watchers? Are you still their spokesperson?

FERGUSON: Absolutely. But the most important thing I want to -- really want to talk about today is the truth about carbohydrates, you know?

KING: The truth about carbohydrates?

FERGUSON: Yes, because...

KING: Like, what don't we know?

FERGUSON: Well, it's so annoying because the -- all these low- carb diets -- everybody's just eating protein, and they're not understanding if they don't put carbohydrates and vegetables in their diet, they are going to be very ill. These fad diets are extreme. It is so important. It's not just about weight loss, it's about health for the future.

KING: But the...

FERGUSON: You can do these low-carb diets and lose a lot of weight, and it works. Absolutely. Then three months later, all these problems come -- kidney problem, heart disease. I work for the American Cancer Society. I work for the American Heart Association. If you carry on with these low-carb diets, you are going to end up with problems.

KING: The argument made by the late Dr. Atkins and others is that carbs turn to sugar and sugar is bad.

FERGUSON: So that means that we have to cut out broccoli and every vegetable known to man...

KING: And bread.

FERGUSON: ... because it turns to sugar and it's...

KING: And rice.

FERGUSON: Yes. Brown rice, whole foods, whole grains. You have to have it to make your body work. Why? Because otherwise there's too much hyderocolic (ph) acid in your system, and it causes bad breath, spots, and your hair falls out, because I've done it.

KING: You need proteins and carbohydrates.

FERGUSON: You have to -- like life, you have a well balanced, rounded diet. Sorry.

KING: Now what is this, "The Truth About Carbs"?

FERGUSON: Larry, you're brilliant. Look...

KING: From Weight Watchers.

FERGUSON: It's a free brochure mailed to you by calling 1-877- 234-4321, go to weightwatchers.com. But go and find out about the truth about carbs. You can go on this Atkins diet and these South Beach, or whatever it's called, and all these things, but you come back to Weight Watchers in a year's time because you're going to have problems, and you are going to be ill. I can guarantee it because I was there. I had a migraine every 10 minutes because of these low- carb diets.

(Later On...)

FERGUSON: Yes, I snack, nuts and dried fruits. And that's 11:00 o'clock and 4:00 o'clock because my sugar levels go down, so I get them back up. But you know, deprivation is fattening, you know? It causes binging and purging. And you know, if you deprive yourself and you stick to just eating only fats, bacon and eggs and all the things they suggest, then where is life? What is life about? It means for the rest of your time, for the next year, you have to only limit yourself to certain things. And it's going to...

KING: But they're all good things, though. That's one of the things that appeal -- the Atkins appeal...

FERGUSON: Yes. Yes.

KING: Hey, bacon ain't bad to...

FERGUSON: Bacon and eggs, fantastic, and cheese. And what about fruit? And what about the research that has proven from the American Cancer Society and from the American Heart that if you don't have these things, you are going to be ill?

KING: If you want this brochure, you can go to weightwatchers.com or call 1 -- it's toll-free -- 877-234-4321. It's simple enough. "The Truth About Carbs."

FERGUSON: And see you at Weight Watchers because you'll be back.

(Even Later...)

KING: So, if you went with someone tomorrow, that would be in the press on Friday?

FERGUSON: Yes. On Friday. If, if some nice person had called the press and was a photographer waiting outside.

KING: Which would probably happen. Someone in the restaurant would call.

FERGUSON: One of the waiters for a quick 50 bucks, whatever it might be.

Do you know what, Larry? I'd like to go back to that nice gentleman who asked about childhood obesity and Weight Watchers. That is one of the points I wanted to make. When we have our children, we feed them milk and vegetables and healthy foods and give them a well- balanced diet. Why then, why then, would we harm ourselves to do these low carb diets later on when we try and keep our children with eating well-balanced food.

KING: We also give our children french fries?

FERGUSON: We do. Absolutely right.

KING: And cookies.

FERGUSON: But that's why, thanks to you we can get the word out. Don't do low carb diets because it doesn't work. Because why would we practice to our children, we give them french fries but we also try, hopefully, to give them milk, whole grain bread and vegetables.