#2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 14:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default hi Marianne

According to Corrine T. Netzer's "Complete Book of Food Counts", cheese curds have 1g carb per oz/30g portion.. .. I love curd, growing up and living in dairy country as I have ... fresh, squeaky moist curd. Yumm ... but it still has a little lactose in it, so the carb count is a wee bit higher than the hard cheese it will ultimately become. Delicious for sure, but you can't go overboard.

Cheese seems to be a big staller for a lot of folks, mostly women (interestingly) not sure why .. possibly a hormonal connection?? from the progesterones naturally present in milk?? Who knows.

As for how much to eat in a day ... in Protein Power, the Eades recommend no more than 1 oz hard cheese per meal, combined with other protein, such as eggs, tofu or meats. Or 1 cup of soft curded cheese, such as cottage or ricotta - maximum.

Personally, I've found it necessary to limit cheese to maybe 1 or 2 ounces a few times a week tops. But everybody's different. If you're eating a LOT of cheese, and find you're stalled, that might be one of the first things to cut back on.

Doreen