View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 09:19

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I keyed into your word "natural" -- if you really want a plan that involves natural eating, look at Audette's Neanderthin (or the paleolithic diet by Cordain--much harder to find; or perhaps --I haven't read it -- Eat Like A Caveman). The food is limited to meat, eggs, fruit, veggies, and seeds, but variety within those categories is strongly encouraged. Don't confuse "normalized" with natural, though--grains are not natural food.

No modern western person gets what apparently is natural and healthy variety in their foods. Because we rely on mass farming, we eat only one variety of many veggies (if you're a home gardener with a penchant for collecting heirloom seeds, then you get an A+!) and darned few veggie species. Hunter gatherers, though, eat over a hundred different plants in a typical summer. I think these ideas are fascinating, and suspect the "paleo" people are really on the right track for most of us (though a LOT of us probably need a year or two of LC first).

I'm not a doctor, etc, but...Your heart pounding may well be a reaction to a drop in blood pressure, possible due to potassium deficiency. Buy some Lite Salt and mix it half and half with regular salt--then don't skimp on the salt--and take extra potassium pills.

Also, your ct. about root veggies confused me--they are high in carbs and generally not eaten on LC plans. But don't eat anything that doesn't "feel" right to you. (pork and cream cheese don't to me, though they are staples for many LCers)

A final thought--you might try the self-designed LC plan a cyberpal of mine uses. All the green veggies she wants, but no more than 10 ECC of carbs beyond that (dairy, coffee, fruit, eggs)

Best of luck!