View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 21:26

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Angry My TRIP to the ENDO

Well, for those of you that remember me, I am the woman who accidently bought the Diastix, whilst on Atkins diet, and discovered my BG to be very high. I purchased a Freestyle Meter (on my own) and began testing as per Dr B's program. In March of this year, my average BG was about 200 per day....for one week..dropped to about 150 in 2 weeks (diet and exercise), only).

When I went to my Ob-Gyn for my scheduled visit in May, we checked (with my meter...and got 170). He referred me to what he believed to be the BEST Endo group in Atlanta. He gave me a script for 500mg of Metformin per day (split....lowered BG too fast). I believed him (about the Endo), because it took me 4 months to get an appt. Meanwhile, I was exercising, doing Bernstein diet to a T, and trying to control the stressors in my life.

Well, Oct 8th (Appt day) has come and gone. Here are the results!

FBG 89
A1c 5.3
Trig 69
HDL 83
LDL 70
BP 115/80

I was not on any drugs at the time of the tests, except xanax, because I was so "freaked out". She tested my feet with the tuning fork thing, listened to my heart, took a little blood...and a urine sample. I told her that I did not know how long I had had elevated BG, as I had found it out by accident. And my Father died of Diabetes complications at the age of 63...I am 56! She asked me if I had ever been diagnosed with Type II. I said NO, but I have been testing 5-10 times per day for months and have had elevated readings...

She said I was FINE. I said, well...don't I need a R-R study, a treadmill test..etc? She actually said, "DON'T GO PSYCHO ON ME"? I swear to "whoever"...she said that! Plus, she said that saturated FAT was bad for everyone, but Lo-Carb diet was good.

Well, I went into a mental tailspin. That's why you guys haven't heard from me. That's my story for now. I know I am a Type II, my Ob-Gyn says he will have the appropriate tests performed.....can you believe this shit?

Oh, she did compliment me on my weight loss, but then added that only 3% of people that lose weight keep it off! BTW, this is supposed to be the best Diabetes group in the Southeast!

Thanks for listening! Oh, ALSO....she told me with my great BG's I could have pizza and popcorn, I tried it....BG went to 200 and stayed there for 3 days....sigh...almost all the way back down now! <sigh>
Sponsored Links