View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 14:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Becky, first of all, as an ICU RN for many years, I know exactly what oedema is. I also know that it can be caused by many, many things, most commonly by ingesting too much sodium and/or not drinking enough water.

I also know that the protein recommendations given by Protein Power etc are for minimum amounts of protein. See what they say here:
Quote:
Is it all right to eat more protein than my recommended amount?

Yes. You can eat more protein if you still are hungry, providing you do not have any existing kidney problems. We would monitor your intake more closely in that situation.

http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1d

Becky, one of the things that illinformed critics say about low carbing is that too much protein harms the kidneys. As long as you have had tests that show your kidney function is normal, eating more protein will not harm your kidneys. There have never been any tests anywhere that prove this. Just because one person on another lists makes a statement about this, does not make it so.
Please be very careful about repeating these statements.

As for the calories, I don't think you have been here long enough to see the many people here who have only begun to lose weight after increasing their calories....and carbs.

I think it's great that you are offering to help people. However you are still a new low carber yourself with a lot to learn. So please be a little more cautious about what you say to other new folk.

Rosebud