View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 22:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Let me say at the outset of this post, that I mean to cause you no offence whatever, Becky. I think you are a great member.
However, some of the information you are giving here is not quite correct.

Hi Lonnie, I know you haven't asked for anyone else's advice here, but I feel obliged to give you some suggestions in order to correct a few misunderstandings.
Quote:
Too much protein can cause aedema: water retention, swallen face, feet, hands.

This will only happen if you have kidney disease.
Too much protein will not do you any harm whatever. The only problem it will cause is to make it harder for you to lose weight.

And as you are having difficulty, Lonnie, I would definitely agree with increasing your fat content. There are no particular percentages that you must reach. However, most folk on Atkins find they will lose best on Induction if they keep their fat to 65 to 70%, carbs to 5% and protein at 25 to 30%. These are not hard and fast numbers though. Remember that Dr Atkins made no mention whatever of percentages.

As for calories, again, Dr Atkins pretty much says to eat "until you are full but not stuffed."
However, once again, if you are interested in what I have seen over my almost 2 years here, most people find they lose best if they keep their calories up to at least 10 times their current weight. Studies have shown that that amount of calories is needed to maintain your basal metabolic rate. That is, you need that much to stay alive, by maintaining your breathing, circulation, digestion etc. So I would try to increase your calories to reach about 2000. And the best way to do that is by adding fat.
Add butter to your cooked vegies, or stir fry them in oil. Use plenty of mayo or creamy dressings like ranch or Caesar on your salads.
Fry your eggs in oil or butter. And always choose full fat versions of everything. As you probably know, low fat usually means high sugar.

I would avoid yoghurt at present. 1 cup of full fat yoghurt has 12 carbs. You are MUCH better off eating those carbs mostly as vegies. If you are doing Induction at present, yoghurt is not allowed anyway.

I don't believe either that 15 to 20g fibre is necessary. Doreen, one of our forum founders, stated once that on low carb we only need about 10 to 15 g.
As long as you are staying "regular," I wouldn't worry about it.

I definitely agree that you are better to base your eating on real food rather than shakes. they are fine now and then, but you'll be doing yourself a lot more good if you eat more good old meat and vegies.

I wish you much success!

Rosebud