Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 06:28
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter
This sounds like a good little strategy for me to keep in my back pocket - allow me to take a breather from expectations & then start fresh - but I'm now sure how to figure out how liberal to be with my carb levels.

For me, the key thing for maintaining seems to be staying away from sugar, white flour, white rice, etc. and limiting whole grains (brown rice, WASA soya crispbread, etc.) and fruit to nore more than one or two servings a day each. As long as I do that, I can eat pretty much unlimited other carbs (non-starchy vegetables, cheese and cottage cheese, etc.) and easily maintain my weight. I also need to watch the nuts, but that is mostly because of calories, I think, not carbs.

In order to lose, I need to cut out all the whole grains, keep the fruit to one serving a day (berries or melon) and -- perhaps the most important thing for me -- carefully monitor the quantities of food I eat so that I don't eat one mouthful more than necessary to keep from being hungry.

I actively exercise all the time, whether I am trying to maintain or lose.

I think that everyone has to experiment with their own body and figure out what level causes them to lose and what level causes them to maintain. For me, it is the type as well as the quantity of carbs that is important. I don't count carbs or calories, I just monitor them, so I can't give you a more precise answer than that.