View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:56
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

It took me until the age of 45 to finally realize my system was screwed up. I simply cannot eat a daily diet filled with sugar and high carbohydrates. I partially blame the media for bad mouthing low carb plans and pushing high carb diets so much.

Every time I started a low carb diet in the past I would get scared and quit, concerned about my health. Now I have my doctor's blessing, check ups, blood tests and monitoring to keep me safe.

When I was younger, I focused on two things: scale weight and how others saw me. This time I am concerned with my appetite being under control, my health, and my long term plan to eat right. Even if that means eating food other people frown upon.

It took me years to get into this shape and it will take time to convince my body that this time I mean business and will not be changing my eating habits to something unhealthy.

Some days I get a little depressed because of my slow weight loss, but I never consider quitting this WOL. The other day I got weighed at my doctor's office. He said, you're doing great. You lost 28 pounds. He even admitted that I may have a genetic problem that the Adkins diet is helping to solve. He calls the diet unconventional.

Yes, 28 pounds is good but it took me since June of 2002 to lose it! That's a little under 2 pounds a month! I'm eating right, exercising, and walking my ass off! I read about others on the board losing 10 pounds a month or more and am actually embarassed to post my numbers.

I used to compete in powerlifting and carry a bunch of muscle. I actully look fatter than I am. I know that because my appetite is under control I WILL eventually lose the extra weight. Looking back I realize I have never had control of what and how much I eat like I do now.

I am content in the knowledge that if I keep walking, lifting light weights and making the right food choices I will continue on the path to health.

Oh, and a good post idea by the way Quest.