View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:34

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Many people will disagree with you regarding where culpability lies. Whereas I disagree about lawsuits I still place part of the responsibility on the fast food industry. The fast food industry cannot in any way be compared to the corner bakery who is passively offering their wares to consumers. They have been much more insidious than that. Anyway I encourage you to read this article that I first saw here on this board. Here follows a small excerpt: It also makes reference to two interesting books: Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation and Greg Critser's In Fat Land: How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World,

Quote:
Nestle attacked the institutional causes of obesity in the recently published Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health.

The misrepresentation of serving sizes on food labels, she claims, permits the American prepared-food industry to fill stores with portions equivalent to 3,800 calories per person per day when most people only need about 1,800.

More insidiously, the industry's reliance on cheap ingredients -- empty starches, high-calorie sugars and hydrogenated fats beloved for their ability to extend the shelf life of baked goods for months, even years -- in processed, packaged "convenience foods" tends to encourage greater consumption. Unlike a turkey sandwich on multigrain bread, which can provide hours of energy, Nestle explains, foods loaded with processed starches and sugars provide few nutrients and trigger a quick burst of insulin and energy that subsides within an hour or so, leaving us hungry even after ingesting thousands of calories

here here