Thread: More Good News
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yes, I would agree that there is still a certain danger in the large amount of carbs listed for people like me of whom there are many....basically carb addicts. I expect though that if I had eaten the types of carbs they recommend that I wouldn't have ended up where I am (was?). It wasn't "oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, and brown rice" that got me here....it was whitebread, pizza, doughnuts, bad cereals, and about a million other products made with refined white flour as well as the hidden sugars in everything from my vitamins (!!!) to ketchup and cold meat. If you look further down in their pyramid you see a category called.... "White Rice, White Bread, Potatoes, Pasta, and Sweets (Use Sparingly):" But there are so many positives in this article. They dwell on stabalizing insulin levels which I think is hugely important to solving the obesity epidemic. They also emphasize that the right kinds of fat are not only go but are essential to good health and can lower cholesteral...I could hardly believe I was reading that!! They even take the Atkinesk step of including a multivitamin as part of the pyramid!

The AOL article is also interesting but focuses mainly on calorie intake and doesn't stress the problem with high glycemic index carbs but at least they are recognizing that the pyramid is a mistake.