View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

This is so worrying. The trouble is that people believe their GP's. They see them as some sort of know-everything gods, not ordinary people who have the same prejudices, blind spots, hanging-onto-their-old beliefs-in-spite-of-evidence as the rest of us.
The fact is that GP's are mainly not nutritional experts. They've been taught about low fat diets just like the rest of us.
It is, however, very irresponsible of them, given their standing with the general community, so spout rubbish based on prejudice and hearsay, rather than good scientific research.
My dad had this trouble with his doctor and gave him Protein Power to read. At least he read it and changed his mind!
Knowing the (researched!) problems that obesity causes, to advise folk to stay that way instead of trying low carb diets is negligent.

Perhaps all we can do is to teach people to take 'experts' advice from as many sources as possible and then make their own minds up - after all, we're responsible for our own lives, when all said and done. My doctor doesn't approve of Atkins - fine, she's entitled to her view and I'll continue to ignore it!

Incidentally - good pic Lisa!