View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
I wonder if the mechanism by which it works comes down to controlling insulin and/or sugar levels.

I tend to doubt it actually is interfering with the insulin/sugar levels as much as it's telling the brain to ignore them.

There's a med on the market, can't remember the name right now. This particular med shuts off the cough center in the brain. So when it was prescribed to my daughter, a simple case of bronchitis turned into pneumonia. The doc who diagnosed the pneumonia blamed the med as a direct cause....because if the girl had coughed "normally" she would have kept her lungs clearer!

I see these meds doing the same thing....they're going to prevent the brain from telling the body it's hungry.....so then you're going to see people with high insulin levels and all the dangers that go along with that.....but they're going to be thin, not overweight...so the only thing this will solve is obesity, not the problems and diseases that go along with it!

As Seyont said:
Quote:
The nice thing about using an appetite suppressant is that you don't have to change your eating habits, only the quantities change.

Whether your breakfast is one doughnut or four, you'll get to keep your insulin resistance, some hyperinsulinemia, worsening blood profile, and compromised immune system.

Topamax can keep you in the market for Lipitor, Procardia, and other Brand-Name Medical Care. All these benefits and no guilt!

Well said Seyont!

Hey, after all, we ARE a society that depends on drugs....legal and illegal. Have a bad day? have a drink or a smoke...or a valium. Get high BP, don't worry, we have dozens of pills for that! High cholesterol? another pill.....now we're getting it! We'll be able to give pills to make you thin....then more pills to take care of all that excess sugar in your blood....and more for the high BP...and some more for the cardiac disease....and on it goes.