View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 01:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

One of my cousins had 8 children. For years they were raised with junk foods occasionally, at least a little candy now and then, or some home made cake. These kids were vibrant, healthy and active. They looked alive, and even though they weren't super intelligent, they weren't dummies, either.

The cousin later decided she was going on a health food kick. She had some physical problems, and while I don't blame her at all for trying to find a diet to help her get over them, what she did to her children was absolutely unbelievable.

The children were never allowed any more candy, all cakes had to be home made with whole wheat flour and honey, etc., etc., etc.

When it came holiday time, every one of those kids would line up and eat all of the candies and deserts at the functions. Not only that, but they became dull, listless and lethargic. Those kids basically dumbed down. It was a shame, to say the least.

It's my opinion, based on what I've seen with those kids, my own and others, that children need a healthy level of carbohydrates. They are growing and it takes a lot of energy to meet that growth, and not all of that energy can be found in high-fiber, low-carb foods.

My own son is 5-1/2. Everyone else in the house is eating LC. He pretty much gets what he wants, as long as it's within reason. For a treat today he had a 'Kid's Cuisine', while I shuddered at the high carbs that are packed into each one of those. Later on, I caved in to his wanting a maple bar. The thing is, he's a very healthy child, not lean, but not fat, either--just a nice little buffer zone.

He doesn't always get goodies and sweet things, and he's a very healthy eater. He loves salads, broccoli, most meats, so on and so forth. But, he's got to have his 'junk' too, LOL.