View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 21:31
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

And I thought my life would be easier if the rest of my family would lowcarb with me!

I have a feeling that as a professional chef you are actually enjoying this challenge. However, if you do get fed up with it, in my opinion you really aren't obligated to make everyone happy at every meal. The rule in my house is that we always stock foods that the varied members of the family like -- I have a shopping list on the kitchen counter and anyone can write on it. If someone doesn't like what is being served for a meal, they can make themselves something else, but they can't necessarily expect it to be made for them. My husband and I (he is the main cook during the week, but I cook on weekends), do try to accomodate likes and dislikes to some extent, but there are only a couple of meals that everyone likes, so someone often gets left out. For example, if my husband feels like making spaghetti and meatballs, I will make myself a chef salad or an omellette for dinner. If we make red meat, which my daughter won't eat, she'll make herself some tortellinis or chicken nuggets. (I know, you don't have to lecture me, they are terrible for her! However, she is healthy and thin.) Both my kids could work a microwave by he time they were nine or 10 and they started packing their own lunches around then also.