View Single Post
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:57

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Lori, what is the URL for the online place you use, please?

Another thing you can get at Real Cdn Superstore is a no-name brand (yellow bag?) of pork rinds (don't make a face!).. They carry plain, BBQ, and Hot & Spicy. The BBQ and Hot & Spicy do have some carbs due to the spices, I believe. The plain can be used in a variety of recipes, specifically LC French Toast and Waffles, if you have a waffle maker. I have a recipe for southern style pecan waffles that is really good and while I was at my sisters, I made the french toast for her - she could not believe how good it was. The spicier ones are good for breading for chicken and for "scoopers" for LC dips, etc. RCS also has a no-name brand of beef jerky with no sugar added to it - very handy for road trips. No sugar no-name diced tomatoes and tomato paste are available too, as is cocount milk (look for Aroz-D brand - it's the best).

At Safeway here, I have found the E.D. Smith No Sugar Added jams, Carey's SF pancake syrup and another brand whose name escapes me at the moment (check the Pharmacy area for diabetic foods), Alpine No Sugar Added hot cider mix, Kraft sugar and salt-free peanut butter, Hunts tomato sauce and pasta (check to get the ones w/o sugar).

If you have Save-On Foods there, they have a Natural Foods section with Bob's Red Mill products (Vital Wheat Gluten "flour", etc), Eden black soy beans and Muir's organic tomato sauces.

In all of these stores, be sure to check the Diabetic sections - it's interesting what they stock there. Recently, both Safeway and Save On have started carrying Atkins mixes and in Safeway, that's where they keep them. Don't bother with the Atkins syrups, though.. very thin and runny, not good. I quite liked the Carey's for my waffles! It's interesting that in some cases, the products are actually cheaper than in the US - Atkins mixes and Alpine cider are two such cases.

Hope this helps - I am slowly building a database of sources (mostly US) for stuff, using my sales receipts for info. I am thinking it'll prove quite helpful in the long run!