View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 15:37

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Thanks for this 99.9% excellent post. The only inaccuracy in it is such a common misconception, I can hardly complain! Testosterone levels vary, like height, across the sexes. As with height, there is considerable overlap, with some men and women having identical levels. However, through mechanisms still mysterious, when we women build muscle, we do it much more easily on the lower body.

As a woman who would LOVE to add muscle bulk, for both strength and metabolic reasons, I really don't fall in the "fear of size" category. However, I know that I'll never look like a Ms. Olympia contestant! It's just not my body type, and I'll never use drugs nor starve down to those levels of body fat (which I suspect are very unhealthy for women). I'm amused at women who have the fear that they'll become something that takes years of work to achieve for the gentically gifted few. That's like being afraid you'll wake up after a few lessons being able to play the piano like Glenn Gould. Simply won't happen.

Still, if the lifting gods would see fit to make me a competent power lifter, I'd be ever so grateful...

"Toning" is a meaningless word. there is more muscle and less muscle. more body fat and less body fat. There ain't nothin' else.

I'm often the only woman in the weight room, and the men treat me great, btw--the post is correct about that.

And there's no better time than while LCing to put on muscle mass. I'm wearing clothes at this weight I once could only wear at 12 pounds less--that suggests 12 pounds extra of muscle from higher protein intake.