View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Are you saying there are absolutely no vegetables that you enjoy eating? I know we have a little trouble around here because I have one daughter who can't stand tuna or any other fish and she's hated eggs from the time she was a baby. What about for lunch having something like some ham (just watch out that it isn't cured with any sugar) and fresh or frozen strawberries? In my book, a half cup of frozen strawberries ranks only 3 net carbs, and considering the vitamin content (high in vitamin C and others) seems to me that it would be a great option.

Here's a recipe that is absolutely to die for, and it's converted many a veggie hater that I know of to actually loving the stuff!

Heat in a skillet some butter and olive oil (my personal faves!), and add a teaspoon to a tablespoonful of minced garlic, depending on your tastes, chopped green onion is optional, salt to taste). Start with frozen brussels sprouts and as they start to thaw, cut them in half (or larger ones into quarters). You can use any other low-carb veggie that you can think of in this dish, too, added according to the cooking time. If you like oriental dishes, head in that direction--if you like Italian, use that kind of veggies (eggplant, zucchini, etc.).

Cook the brussels sprouts until they're starting to brown, sort of fried. Then add the other quicker-cook veggies. I really like fresh spinach added right near the end of it. When it's all cooked up, you can either put on any kind of grated cheese you like (unless you're making an oriental flavored dish). If you use cheese, turn off the heat once the veggies are done, add the cheese, then put on a lid and let the cheese melt.

Now, as for salads, well, I don't like iceberg lettuce, so I always go with the red romaine-type lettuce, which actually has some good flavor and is oh-so-tender. I generally never use very much lettuce in my salads, either, preferring to use other veggies like cucumber (much more flavor), alfalfa sprouts, chopped fresh spinach, etc. The real key, though, to finding a salad you like, is to find a dressing (just one with no sugar) you absolutely love. If you love bleu cheese (as everyone in this house does) salad becomes a completely blissful experience because everyone knows you only eat salad as a vehicle for the dressing, anyway!

I don't know if I helped any or not, but I would truly recommend trying that brussels sprout dish, because I've had a lot of friends who just hated veggies wolf that stuff right down.