#9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 14:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by korry1977
It stated on page 56, Chapter 5, Table 6, the population nutrient intake goals for carbs seem awfully high...

I think you typoed...It starts on Page 66.

Quote:
There are pushing 'complex carbs,' but the intake of 'free sugars' < 10%, > 400g of fruit

10-15% protein
15-30% fat

I think the 400g of Fruit is based on their weight, not on the carb content. That is 400g of Carbs from Fruit, that is 400g of fruit. 400g is approximately 3 servings/day depending on the weight of the fruit. That actually allows for a much wider range of carbs from fruit. For example, if you got all that fruit from Watermelon, that would only be 15g of Carbs. But, if it came from Bananas, it would be almost 60g of Carbs. If it came from Raisins, it would be almost 300g of Carbs. For Strawberries, that would be 18g of Carbs. BTW. "Carbs" as I use it means Net Carbs.

As for the fat intake, I think that mostly is because of Asia. They don't eat much fat there, and WHO doesn't want to cause them to increase their fat intake. They did point out that some countries do fine at higher than that level of Fat. They said 35%, but that's probably the highest average intake of fat in the world nowadays. It used to be 40% or more.

I think they mislead people with their Fat Supply chart. I don't have time to read 160 pages...So, I would assume "Fat Supply" means how much is available to each person, not how much we actually eat. The chart shows Fat Supply increasing. But, at least here in the US...Fat intake has gone down, though LFers will falsely claim it went up by comparing current levels to those in the mid-80s [height of the LF Fad.] What this means is that even though we have more fat out there, we aren't eating it. Basically, [as a nation] we are trimming the fat off our meats, skimming our milks, etc...

As for Protein...I honestly believe that eating so little Protein is what has created this generation of college girls, who are so short/thin [due to lack of tone,] they look like pre-teens even in their 20s and 30s. They also have chicken bones for legs nowadays [they'd probably break their legs in 20 places if they fell.] I read an article in my college newspaper about restraunts and one part caught my attention. There was a sophmore girl who said she liked a certain restraunt and ate a Kid's meal. Sadly, due to their small stature and tiny bodies...most of these girls probably could pass themselves off as under 12. Now, some folks may think that is a good thing. Having the face of a pre-teen is a good thing. Being the size of one isn't.