#12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
They have a no sugar added. Why can't they do that with the Low Carb version as well? It seems another company jumping to cater to the LC market without really understanding it. While it's good to have alot more Lc products around, and that they are getting cheaper, maybe a good idea would be an email or letter suggesting to the company that making their no sugar added icecream LC would be much more benificial and attract more consumers.

If the company becomes aware many LC'ers prefer no refined sugars including HFCS, maybe they will find a way to create a comprimise.

Their "No Sugar Added" Ice Cream:

1) Has 12g of Net Carbs (3g of Polyols). By comparison, that is only a 2-3g Reduction from their regular Ice Cream.

2) Has 4.5g less fat than Regular Ice Cream. LeCarb Vanilla tastes like skim milk and they've only reduced the fat by about 25%. I shudder to think how bad any Ice Cream that has had half the fat sucked out of it tastes.

3) It is sweetened with Aspartame. I'd rather put small amounts of Corn Syrup in my body than small amounts of Embalming Fluid (Fermaldehyde) and Red Ant Poison (Formic Acid.)

4) If I remember correctly [though they don't say on their site,] their "No Sugar Added" Ice Cream contains Maltodextrin...which IMHO is much worse than HFCS. And, since only 4g of the 12g of Net Carbs are labelled as sugars [I believe Maltodextrin is really a sugar, though I think the FDA allows it to be excluded from the sugar count]...the remaining 8g have to come from something not considered a sugar by the FDA...the most likely source of those 8g is Maltodextrin. Maltodextrin has a GI of 105. I'd be willing to wager that the Glycemic Load of their NSA Ice Cream is much higher than that of their "All Natural" Ice Cream. Lactose (GI: 48) and Sucrose (GI: 68) are much lower Glycemic than Maltodextrin (GI: 105.) Even HFCS (GI: 65) is much lower Glycemic.