Progress: 52%
Default Re: Women and Training/Nutriton Fallacies

Quote:
Originally posted by Trainerdan
Women’s Fallacies of Training and Nutrition
August 1, 2000
by Elzi Volk

7. The Fear of Iron.

- Women fear muscle. Most women these days fear muscle; they "don’t want to get big." This is, of course, the most common fallacy I have experienced amongst the female populace. While this fear is partially founded in cultural and sociological influences, it also reveals a lack of realism. Women do not have the same levels of testosterone, the primary hormone that is required for increases in muscle size, and consequently will not gain excessive muscle mass.

- Intimidation. Because the free weights are associated with men, many women are unfortunately too intimidated to venture into the free weight area and use free weights. Many men respect the desire and commitment of women who weight train and are generally helpful in imparting advice on exercises.

{side note from Dan: Just be sure that you brush up on gym ettiquette before venturing into the weight room. If you "play by the rules" you will get fewer "glares" from the men. Maybe I will write a little article on that ...}

I agree with this full force!!!! I have heard so many of my friends say that they don't want to get big!! I have tried to explain that lifting weights is not going to make you big like the guys you see on magazines!

Hmmmm.... the number one thing that comes to my mind is DO NOT walk in front of anyone (male or female) while they are doing their exercise and they are using the mirror in front of them. Wait until he/she is done with his/her set to put back your weights or to walk by!
Also, in my experience, before I really knew what I was doing in the weight room , guys were very helpful to me in the free weight section!

Anyways, just thought I would add my two cents!!
Good post Dan!