View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks for sharing Lisa. The warning signs have been there from infancy. I'd take her to the doctor and mention her behaviors and the doctor told me she was gifted and eccentric. I took her to a therapist a 5 and got the same story. Now at 8, COME ON-- THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON. Things are much more pronounced now that in 3rd grade most kids have "settled down" and she has not.

We've got her a little more settled down at home but we've got to run things like drill sergeants-- not enjoyable for anyone. Any yes, HOURS on homework is the story! She's so smart and already does times tables, division, reads beautifully, etc. But, man is she S L O W. I also wonder if she's got anxiety problems. This morning we were having a heart to heart and she let some of her emotions go (which is rare for her). When I asked why she didn't like to talk about her feelings she got all choked up and said "because it's embarrassing and I don't want people to know about my feelings!" And then she puked on her shoes.

I have a doctors appt on Tues and unfortunately my school meeting got resked until Thursday. I only hope they are as understanding as your daughter educators seen to be. I'm not totally against meds. I think it's all in my head-- but I'd like to try more natural methods first. But then again, if school keeps going the way it has been I may just cave and go along with the dr's if that's what they suggest. I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like she's got A LOT going on. I don't think natural methods will hurt but I have a gut feeling they won't totally help either.

Regardless, I do really like cutting down on sugar and upping the protein. That will stay no matter what we decide to do.

I do commend you for doing what you have done for your DD-- it's not easy! I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing something sooner. I believed the doctors even though my gut was telling me something different. I do believe she's gifted but I also believe there is a WHOLE bunch of other stuff there too. I'm going to try and be open minded about the meds. Sure it makes me nervous as heck but if we do end up going that route I think it may be better for her in the long run. Her esteem is going down the drain fast.

I found a great article online. Although you are through most of the tougher times (I hope!) I found this REALLY INTERESTING. I've only gotten through the first 2 "chapters" but boy! The first one described my DD to a T from infancy to present. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.klis.com/chandler/home.htm

Thanks again!