Thread: Is Atkins bad?
View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:46

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

even if you do not read the book or take to heart some of the research, think back a minute...

people think today, in this society, we are healthiest because we live longest. they accosiate long life with health. but I completely disagree. I wasn't alive 500 years ago, but I do not think people had the same health problems that we do now. they're complications arose from bacterias on their food. lack of preservation. harder lifestyle.
the human body was not made to lounge around like a cat. but we just might as well be curled up sleeping, some of us, for the amount of sitting that we do.
now for foods, before there was sugar, there was fruits used to sweeten things. honey was also used. before there was sodium nitrate, things were dried and cured with salt. before there was hormones put in chicken to make it grow almost 4 times as fast as normal, poultry and beef used to graze and eat from the land, then man in turn ate them. The ONLY thing unhealthy about eating the meat untended for us to eat is the fact that we ourselves posion it with chemicals. I won't post here and cover that fact up. It is healthier to eat organic meat. And as far as saturated fat and cholestoral is concerned, that is one of the biggest myths of our society.
cholesterol has a purpose. it makes hormones. it lines the nervous system and allows electrical flows. it heals damaged tisses. it feds the eye.
If you look at outside information having nothing to do with atkins or low carb, you will find that there are many doctors who oppose the American Heart Associations diet, especially for children, because it can increase susceptibility to disease. Cholestoral is essential to a long term immune system.
I could go on and on and on about fat, low-fat, cholest., grains, starch, and related topics, but the only long term effect a person on atkins should be aware of is the fact that a lot of the meat that he is eating may be very high in chemicals. this is a valid concern and most people do not realize it. The diet itself is the healthiest diet in exsistance if that answers your question, especially since it is rich in the omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.