View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:17

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Why the bum rap against protein? Part of it is based on faulty science, read Dr Bernstein's chapter on "what about the widely advocated dietary restrictions on fat, protein, salt, and the current high fiber fad" BUT, and there is also an ideological/political spin to it, back in the 60s books like "Diet for a small planet" and others found wickedness and waste in the way devoloped countries eat, decided that Americans consume way more protein than necessary. This message has been a part of the philosophy of vegan/veg. groups like PCRM, not only is it selfish and wasteful of us, then the next thing they would love to prove is that it is actually BAD for us, so phony studies, or certain spin put on good ones. Now in all honesty, sometimes I DO feel bad, picking out a ribsteak or t'bone, I would feel more virtuous wearing birkenstocks and living on garbanzos and black beans. But these groups, hating our prosperous western lifestyle, hating our suv's, etc. do not care a fig for what works for us as individuals. Yes, it is a dirty shame I have to eat this way to keep my blood sugars under control, i tried their way, didn't work, but I'm not going to go blind and have my feet cut off just to support a political stance. Bill