#6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtdrae
Red meat and butter, can that clog our arteries? More or less what I'm looking for is I really want to be heathy and I do think this is the way to go, but growing up my uncle is a veggie head and he has always insisted that red meat clogs arteries, is this true or false? Or is it a matter of how much we consume?

Red Meat doesn't Clog Arteries...In fact, I'd go so far as to say Red Meat is good for your Heart. Why ? For starters 2g of the 7g of Saturated Fat in a serving of Beef come from Stearic Acid. Stearic Acid Lowers Cholesterol. Another gram comes from Lauric and Capric Acids, which at worst have little to no effect on Cholesterol. 3 oz. of Beef contains 7g of Oleic Acid, the same Cholesterol-Busting fat found in OLIVE OIL. Only 4g comes from Palmitic Acid, which when combined with Hi-TGs, raises Cholesterol. But, there is now some research showing that Myristic Acid [which along with Palmitic Acid is one of the two Cholesterol Raising Fats] mainly raises the light fluffy [beneficial] LDL, not the small dense [damaging] LDL created by Trans-Fats. If Myristic Acid raises the beneficial kind...whose to say that Palmitic Acid doesn't also. Even if the 4g of Palmitic Acid raised your Cholesterol slightly...the 10g of Cholesterol-Lowering Fats would more than undo any damage.