View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 07:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Good Morning Ladylaw,

A couple of years ago i had a blood clot in my leg that migrated to my lung. So i was on Coumadin for a year after that.

I, also, was told to avoid foods with Vitamin K. Those foods are NOT a natural blood thinner. They do the opposite. You can eat some of them but, if you eat them, you must eat the same amounts regularly, as they test your blood constantly and the coumadin level must remain fairly consistent.

I found some information i'll paste here. I hope your aunt gets better soon. It's SCARY to have something like this happen to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is the most important information I should know about Coumadin?

Never take a double dose of this medication.
Do not take aspirin or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, others), ketoprofen (Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox), and others while taking Coumadin, except under the direction of your doctor. These medicines increase the risk of bleeding.

Avoid sudden changes in your diet. Vitamin K decreases the effects of Coumadin. Large amounts of vitamin K are found in foods such as liver, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and green leafy vegetables (e.g., spinach, Swiss chard, coriander, collards, cabbage). Do not change the amount of these foods in your diet without first talking to your doctor.

It will be necessary to regularly monitor your therapy with a blood test called a "PT" or an "INR." These tests help to determine the amount of Coumadin that you need to take.

Contact your doctor if you experience any unusual bruises or heavily bleeding wounds, diarrhea, infection, or fever during treatment with Coumadin.