View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I just did a search on "shortbread" hoping for a tasty lc recipe. I've been experimenting with my Scottish shortbread recipes. I've tried using Atkins bake mix but the end result is garbage.

Anyhoo, I just bought some almond flour and tried that. I used about 5 oz almond flour added about 2 oz wheat flour and 4 oz butter. I was winging it since this was my first try at substituting almond flour for all purpose flour. However, while blending the butter and flour, it didn't crumble the way it normally does. It got all pasty, so I added the 2 oz of wheat flour, then about 2 tbls splenda (the kind that pours from the box versus the packets). However, it didn't taste very sweet. So I added 2 packets of sweet & low (pink packets) since blending sweeteners is supposed to be better.

I added a couple shakes of salt and spread the mix in half of my toaster oven tray since there wasn't enough to fill the whole tray and I didn't want it too thin. Baked at 325F for about 20 mins and it came out not half bad. Very light and crumbly but you can taste the yummy buttery taste.

I might try more wheat flour and less almond flour to help make it less crumbly next time. I hope this helps you in your endeavors.