View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Lisa N-

Thanks for the reply. I'd love it if she drank milk at lunch but she won't do it. She is a milk drinker (so we try to get in a glass at dinner) but she HATES the cartons the milk comes in. She can't open them properly and wrestles with them every time. She also just does not like drinking milk from cartons for some strange reason (I don't quite understand that one!).

Thanks for the tip about sufficient protein at breakfast. Syd eats breakfast at about 6:30 and has the first lunch period at 10:30. She says she's STARVING by then. I've been trying to incorporate more in her breakfasts the last few days. She LOVES hard boiled eggs and they have about 17 grams of protein each. I boiled up a whole bunch yesterday to stick in the fridge for her to last the week. All day yesterday all she said was "can I have another egg, can I have another egg, can I have another egg!?!?!?!?" Drove me nuts! I bet I'll have to make more before the week is up. She also likes pepperoni & cheese which is my staple breakfast so we always have that in the house.

Goose- I got some organic yogurt and frozen peaches and blueberries yesterday. Both kids LOVED it! I mixed in just a little bit of unsweetened cocoa to make the yogurt chocolate. My oldest wants to have that in her lunch as a treat (as well as for breakfast and an after dinner treat!). I'll be going out this weekend to find some small Tupperware containers for that. That yogurt has a pretty decent amount of protein per serving too.

Thanks to both of you for sharing your ideas with me. I can't believe in the last few days I've gotten her to love SF jam on whole wheat toast and a whole bunch of other good-for-you things. I got some natural peanut butter for PBJ days and to put on celery. Today for lunch we're going to have a meat roll-up sampler platter so she can tell me which combination she likes. She's super excited about her new foods and so am I.

I do have a question. Did you find that cutting out some sugar from your kids diet helped their behavior or attitude? I'm taking my oldest in to the doctor soon because I think there is some kind of ADD or ADHD issue going on. She can't concentrate at school (although she's really bright and knows her school material well). She's falling asleep in class and taking naps at recess although she gets enough sleep. It's only the 3rd week of school and her teachers are already at their wits end with her behavior and disruptions to class (I have a Monday morning meeting with her teacher and Asst. principal about a string of incidents that have already occurred). She constantly complains of feeling sick to her stomach, weak and tired. Basically, there are lots more "warning signs" that have been going on her entire life and things are not getting better despite the countless "behavior modification" techniques we've tried at home. We've got lots of clear-cut rules and consequences-- basically, she's not allowed just to run crazy like a lot of parents seem to allow these days. I have a feeling she is a candidate for ritalin. Before I go that route I'd like to try some other options first. I ordered some Efalex for her and as you know I am trying to change her diet a bit. I know diet alone will not solve all our problems but did you guys see a little bit of difference?