#5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default 12-13X ...

Are you familiar with Protein Power? Somewhere in the chapter about how to calculate LBM Lean Body Mass, there's a proviso about the tables (provided info used in the calculation) being helpful within a certain range of weight; i.e., those that are, say, somewhere around +30% under- or over-weight tend to get "skewed" figures so need to use a bit of discretion with the numbers. This, I think, applies to the 10 (loss) and 13(maintain) calorie multipliers, as well.

HOWEVER (and pardon the pun but this is a big BUT), that being said, you must keep in mind that your body is working hard at maintaining and carrying around your particular weight, i.e., the Basal Metabolic Rate is roughly 10 kCals per pound of weight (just sleeping and breathing, one normally uses that amount of energy, use more and it comes from blood glucose or fat stores) and the "Maintenance" Rate is roughly 13 kCals per pound (normal activities, energy use).

Think about the "Standard" recommended average of 2000 kCals per day for the "average" woman of 150 pounds... and you'll see where the numbers come from.

So, YBYSE Your Body Your Science Experiment so you need to see what your personal metabolic system is comfortable with. All the LC Plans pretty well say Eat Til *Satisfied*, But Don't Feel Stuffed... Also remember that as one loses the pounds, it's a sliding scale... My personal scale (at 190 right now, should never have quit smoking and aiming for 150) is **up to** 1900 kCals **but no less than** 1500 kCals, which is 10X current weight and 10X goal weight respectively, except for Calorie Boost days where I will attempt to eat 2470 kCals (but will stop if I feel too full). It shouldn't be TOO hard if I get those extra cals from olive oil, butter and such. Find out on Day 3 (tomorrow) I guess!

PS: I've been reading and LCing since July 1998