View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 06:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/190/175 Male 71 in.
BF:21
Progress:

I would stress that tracking your body measurements are also a good motivator. I seemed to go for weeks without pounds lost, but still kept shrinking.

I'm told that if you are exercising, some fat may be converting to heavier muscles, too.

Also, I reread Atkins frequently. He makes points that are not as clear as they should be. One is that calories do count. For example, he says "induction is not a license to gorge". Others have written books claiming that LC is just a gimmick to limit your caloric intake---and I think they are right, in part.

As for induction, I stayed in induction until I'd lost 2/3 of my weight. I still only eat some of the food from the OWL list, but the fundamental Atkins food choices are why I chose the diet in the first place. I almost ate LC when I was overweight, so it was not too hard for me.

Conversely, I think you have to eat a good amount of the permitted foods to prevent hunger. My biggest problem was (is still) snacking from dinner to bedtime. I try to eat enough at dinner so I'm not tempted.

Good luck--and for motivation's sake try to stay away from the scale on a daily basis. I've weighed myself multiple times a day and my weight has fluctuated up to 10 pounds (!!!) in a single day--so daily weight fluctuations are truly meaningless and only a way to frustrate yourself. You have to believe weight loss is a long term process. A weekly count at the same time of day is the only good measurement.