View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 03:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%

I'm not counting carbs per se, but while I'm so far from a reasonable goal weight I'm all but totally avoiding specific HC/HG foods as well as anything that's a surefire emotional trigger for uncontrollable eating (like any form or formula of ice cream, cheesecake or chocolate). I know someday I should be able to tolerate very small servings of the healthier HC stuff again, or perhaps enjoy a modest-sized HC decadent treat on a few special occasions. So maybe that's why I don't feel tempted even though there's still a lot of that stuff around me. They don't look good or bad to me - they're just another food I don't want to eat. Maybe I'm not as fiercely reactive as some folks are, but I don't stress too much over small amounts of hidden carbs as long as I'm staying mostly clean and I haven't had many problems with that. I go by what my body tells me is allowable. It's been just over 2 months now since eliminating the worst stuff and I can make a pot of mashed potatoes, noodles or rice for the kids & my mom, or move the ice cream in the freezer to get to something else, and yet not even imagine having any. The really junky HC stuff I can just toss out now and wonder why I ever felt we had to have that garbage on hand. That's progress - me throwing out food!

So it's not the sight of HC food that tantalizes me, but I'll admit that the smells still do. Pop a cinnamon bagel into the toaster or make popcorn and the scent that goes through the house really gets my appetite riled up and my mouth watering. It's not that I really want that bagel or a big bowl of Orville Redenbocker, it's just the old comforting image they stir up. Popcorn and movies - fried dough and country fairs...

Hmm, guess I've got to make some better memories with other things besides food eh?

Aversion therapy works for me. I look at those foods I know are going to be really problematic binge-triggers, and picture them as illicit drugs being peddled by nefarious food-manufacturers in pimp hats and gold chains. I am not going to let a moment of weakness re-addict me when I've worked so hard to get myself clean. And I won't continue to make those guys rich on my weaknesses. Appeal to my stubborn streak of self-righteousness, and I can resist anything.