View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 17:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Is it possible for your daughter to get milk with her lunches? Many schools offer the option to purchase milk for the kids at lunchtime. Just a thought...maybe the bottled water AND some milk?
I get little cups with lids at my local party supply place and send ranch dressing along for them to dip their veggies in.
We do a LOT of Gogurt at my house as well as string cheese. Sometimes I will get the small Gladware containers and make sugar-free Jello with berries in it for a treat or sugar-free pudding made with half cream, half water. My oldest loves pistachios in her lunch and tonight I tried something new on them for an after school snack...cucumbers seeded and cut into eighths then rolled up in ham slices spread with a mixture of cream cheese, a little mustard and some garlic powder (I hear dill is very good with this, too, but I don't care for dill) then chilled and sliced into bite-sized pieces. Mixed results. The oldest love it, but the youngest turned up her nose (doesn't like mustard).
The brand of wheat bread I get is Aunt Millie's Light wheat (7 net grams of carb per slice). My girls are PBJ junkies, so I get the sugar-free peanut butter and low or no sugar jams for them.

Breakfast is sometimes cereal, more usually it's eggs, toast with cheese or peanut butter or oatmeal or yogurt with milk to drink. I try to encourage them to at least eat a little protein with breakfast so they don't get so hungry before lunch.
Lunch is usually a 1 slice sandwich (PBJ, bologna, ham, turkey, etc..), a fruit, a Gogurt, a string cheese, crackers with cheese and sometimes Cheez-its, chips (only a few times a week, though) or pretzels. Sometimes I'll make sugar-free jello with fruit or pudding. They either bring a water bottle or get milk (or both) to drink.
After school snacks are varied...veggies with dip, fruit, cheese sticks, cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers...stuff like that. If they have stuff left from their lunch, they eat that.
Dinner is whatever DH and I are having...usually lots of veggies (they both love their veggies) with butter or cheese sauce and a decent size serving of protein (at least a couple of ounces) and milk again (6 oz. cups). Between the yogurt, the milk and the cheese, they get plenty of calcium.
Tonight DH is rewarding my oldest for successfully getting up, dressed and ready for school ahead of schedule all week so far (this has been a huge battle for her..she's not a morning person!) by taking her out to a local ice cream shop for REAL ice cream. We don't say no to treats like that all the time, but we do keep them reserved for true treats and not an every day occurance.