Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 01:10
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveed
I used to have anxiety all the time to the point where I would self medicate with alcohol at night...I wouldn't be surprised if this WOE is key for controlling alcoholism in other people as well, if my own response is any indication.

I don't have obvious anxiety attacks, but I have found that this WOE has enabled me to think better when I drink--not every single time, but most of the time, and that's a definite improvement. In fact, I had an interesting experience last night...I am in a very stressful situation at the moment, and I was looking for something to drink at home after getting back from a dinner out. I had a vodka and diet tonic, and then the stress-relief craving set in, and I just wanted MORE. I became afraid that I was going to get very drunk and end up going to a very important meeting with a hangover today. Notwithstanding that fear, I poured myself a large gin and diet tonic, had a sip, and then put it down the sink because it didn't taste very good to me. Tried with Amarula Cream, a very sweet liqueur which is definitely NOT LC, had a few sips, poured it down the sink because it was too sweet. We still had Scotch and all manner of other things, but I didn't feel very interested.

At this point the liquor store was still open and I could have gone around the corner for a bottle of red wine...but it wasn't worth it to me because I knew I would drink at least 2/3 of the bottle in the end, and wake up feeling nasty. So I took a melatonin to help me get to sleep, and went to bed. I woke up at 6 feeling refreshed.

Pre-LC, this stressful feeling would have ended in a very different way...with me staggering to bed at 2 or 3 or 4 AM, drunk as a skunk and dreading the morning. I am quite certain that control of my blood sugar is key to control of my drinking.

Emily